Wednesday 2 April 2008

No worries, mate

Time has come to bid farewell to Australia. Here I am, sitting in front of a computer screen at Sydney airport, waiting for my flight to Singapore. It's hard to believe I've just spent 6 months in Australia and New Zealand, hard to realise it's already over. You won't be surprised if I tell you it was absolutely fantastic. A beautiful country, an interesting and fascinating one too. I'll miss Aussie people, their care-free attitude, their kindness and their humour. Perhaps I won't miss their addiction to beer but then that's pretty harmless (says the liver). From New South Wales up to Queensland, west to the Northern Territory and Western Australia and back through South Australia, Victoria and the unmissable A.C.T. (rock on, Canberra!), it's a continent with many faces but wherever you go, you'll always find this chilled-out attitude that makes life as a backpacker so easy. And how many countries do you know where people make jokes about themselves?

I just want to say "cheers" to the following people, who made my Aussie and Kiwi trips so special and memorable. I've tried to put the names in a chronological order. And I apologise in advance to those whose names have escaped my little brain. So thank you to...

Karen, Damian, Lance, Sam, Libby, Zara and the rest of the Tequila Gang (what an intro to Aussie lifestyle!), Aukje (keep an eye on that crazy cockatoo) & Rianne, Jai ("classic"), Peninna & Nina (have you seen my postcard?), the Frenchies from Coffs Harbour and the salesmen at Coffs's Dicksmith, Shirou aka Mushroom, Cockhead and Speed (hope you still enjoy meat-packing), Lisa & Hannah (where's my Fraser Island picture?), Nicole, Gary, Greg and Cedric (long live the Desert Venturer), Camille, Cyril, Nick and the Rock crew (how about some hiking under 57 degrees celsius?), the OWB family including Julia S., Julia (aka Jule), Julia and the other Julia, Tina, Flo (what, another PVO?), Oliver, Svenja, Evi (cos I live by the river...), Anne (yes, if I wanna speak French, I will speak French), Nathalie (allez quoi, fais pas ta p...), Mathias, Jacob, Anna (banana!), Inga, Eva, Monique (I will always be your Gillette man), Damian, Tina (another one), Dermott, Jackie, Philip, Jeni, Arnoutt (it only takes one letter to become a Tim-Tam ha ha ha), Alice (molto bene), the guy who thought I looked like St Matthew (amen - what was your name?), Barbara and the Aussie family (feels great to be a Yorston, doesn't it?), Kylie, the Roadtrip Rentals guys, Christophe the crazy night manager (easy on those young backpackers my friend), Kerrie, Jacindie and the Katoomba YHA staff (hope the kitchen is still clean), Sarah (cider, beer and pool, the perfect match), Elia and Talbert (you are crazy, but I like you), Maz, Joe and Mustafa.

OK, ca, c'est fait.

Now I still have a few hours to spare before taking-off. A fellow traveller told me, in the check-in queue, that we are flying on an Airbus 380. How sexy is that (the airplane I mean)!? The largest plane in the world, hopefully I'll have enough leg-room.

Thank you Australia, stay as you are, laid-back and open-minded. And if there's one thing I'll never forget, it's that for any issue you may have, one answer in two words beats all: NO WORRIES !

No comments: