Saturday 16 February 2008

Welcome to New Zealand

I shall start the New Zealand photo album with a little section on Auckland, its largest town - but NOT the capital city (which happens to be Wellington).

I took a Freedom Air plane (actually an Air New Zealand aircraft with a Freedom Air ticket - I'm sure you wanted to know this vital detail) from Sydney to a small town called Hamilton and then a bus to Auckland. New Zealand probably is the furthest country from France or the UK so I literally felt like I was on the other side of the planet when I arrived in kiwi land.


Flying over the sea... of clouds.




Auckland is a nice place indeed. Built between a few (inactive) volcanoes and the sea. It boasts a large harbour with lots of beautiful yachts (with sails, not those big noisy engine boats) and nice old buildings.











As we walked around the harbour, I noticed two rather huge sailboats I'd seen on TV before... Here's the boat which sailed in last year's America's Cup. It was an unfortunate cup for the kiwis and now it costs about 140 dollars to go and sail on this boat for one day.














Aerial view of Auckland. In the foreground, a volcano... Woo-hoo! In the background, the sky tower, the tallest structure in the southern hemisphere (ca claque!).





Contemplation time.








Paris is very far away indeed.
















"I'm telling you darling, this is the way to the supermarket."





What are you looking at?
















This is probably the longest one-mast sailboat I've ever seen. Just look at the size of people on it and you'll realise how big the boat is.























Sunset on the harbour.










Blessures de guerre.








Evi, lost in thought.


No comments: