Sunday 2 December 2007

The Royal Flying Doctor Service

In Alice Springs, I went to (actually, Nicole took me to) the Royal Flying Doctor Service's headquarters. The RFDS is very famous as it provides medical services to all the people living in the remote parts of the outback. It was created by John Flynn in 1928 and its aim was to provide "a mantle of safety" for the people of the Inland (according to the leaflet I'm reading right now).

So say you have a health problem and you live in a cattle station far from anything that looks like a town, then you give a buzz to the RFDS and they'll come fly to you (a bit like Frank Sinatra "come fly with me, come fly, let's fly awaaaay"). Depending on what the matter is, either they'll fly a nurse and a doctor, or just a nurse.

And now a few pictures.













I love this picture. Who ever said that Great Britain was a large country?




Well, what if you forget your idea a few seconds after you have it?




No comments: