Saturday 3 November 2007

Murwillumbah & Mount Warning

Murwillumbah... An interesting name for a lovely and unpretentious place. I came there to relax, after the "hustle and bustle" of Byron Bay. Its art gallery is home to portraits who are the winners of the highest prize for a portrait in Australia, apparently. And I had a very interesting conversation with the ladies at the reception. Now they have my name on a piece of paper, just in case, and I quote, "you get famous one day". Don't hold your breath, mesdames. Startled as you might be, you would probably ask, "famous for what?". Well I told them about my growing interest in photography and so they probably saw in me the next Yann Arthus-Bertrand or David Bailey... Don't hold your breath, I repeat.

Murwillumbah is also the main gateway to Mount Warning. So I ask you, dear readers, why do you think it's called Mount Warning? Well this is yet another facetie of our friend James "you-think-I-am-a-captain-but-I-am-not" Cook. He nicknamed the former volcano "Warning" as a... warning, you guessed it, for sailors. As soon as you could see it from the sea, then you had to be careful otherwise your ship would come crashing into the lovely but rocky Australian coast.

Finally, Murwillumbah is now popular for its sugar cane fields and banana trees. And there's a large Indian community, who came here to work in... sugar cane fields (I don't like repetitions).

Murwillumbah's main street, dotted with art-deco buildings.


Rather new and colourful church.


Other views of Murwillumbah's flourishing sub-tropical flora, rien que ca...





And the icon of the east coast, the waterdragon!


Mister (or missus?) frog.


Mister (or missus?) snake, at the hostel.


From the top of Mount Warning, a sweeping view of the Australian bush. Mount Warning used to be a volcano and the erosion of the lava has formed a giant caldera. So the Mount sits right in the middle of it, and so does Murwillumbah. All around, is mountains which form, more or less, a big circle, ie the limits of the caldera. Now you know all about the geological wonders of Murwillumbah!

And if you look close enough, far away in the background, you can see Byron Bay and the ocean.


Good luck?


Sub-tropical forest on the way down (or up).











And on the other side of the street, some dancing lessons. Shall we dance?




No comments: